But he's not. Although I can see how all the evangelicals are confused.
Awhile back I was completely obsessed with the second coming. I read a ton: Encyclipedia of Joeseph Smith, complied prophesies of latter day prophets, D&C, Revelations, you name it, I read it...as long as it was sited as coming from a prophet in a prophetic context. As a mormon, as far as I can tell, we don't believe in an single man that will rise up and gain dominion over us in the last days. Antichrists are just anything or one that opposes christ.
So during this phase, I stumbled over the born-again christian author LaHaye and his Left Behind series. 12 books was overkill, I made it through 7 before becoming bored. This series is incredibly popular among evangelicals and having read it, I understand their slant on christianity a lot better. You can see how they are confused, but they get some stuff absolutely right. Well the third book is the rise of the Antichrist. They believe him to be a person that will take control of the world essentially and brand us with the mark, etc.
LaHaye's antichrist is eerily just like Obama. I'm not kidding. I had this conversation with Natalie about how similar they are: Incredibly charismatic, full of hope and change (and how they lay out their change is completely socialist and vague), positions himself for the people--a humble servant to injustice...but really all the policy changes end up usurping our liberty and eventually create a one world government...sounds like Obama to me. Although, let me state again, I don't believe Obama is the antichrist, I am just pointing out why I believe so many evangelicals do. Something to ponder, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment