My sister Amber has this cool job where she gets paid by google to research people's actual google searches. Just so you know, google knows everything about you, the more you google, gmail, or blog, the more they know. But they do it in a very benign profit-driven way, so I'm cool with it. Anyway, one of her tasks is to look at an actual person's keyword searches in a single session to see if it leads to a purchase. Here are two she posted on her blog (because they are entertaining):
one google searcher's keyword trail:
bbc
mcnair murder
sin by silence (a domestic violence site)
lake shawnee topeka kansas
dove ornament
another google searcher's keyword trail:
Botulism
platform queen beds
safety shoes for women
investment how
offshore bank
I mean how do you get from botulism to offshore banking? It is a wildly fantastic trail of randomness, and I endorse it as a new form of poetry. It is a window into one's very soul really and it's almost more accurate than a diary. After reading her entry on these Keyword Poets, I decided I would follow my own trail and see where it takes me.
Obviously it wouldn't be as free form because I was tracking my own trail and I found I'm not much of a googler. I rarely use search engines--I'm more a destination websurfer. So my trail is more random and disjointed. Still I plan to track my searches from here on out and if I actually create a worthy entry of Keyword Poetry, I plan to post it.
Here is my first attempt:
refried bean recipe
martha stewart
Here be dragons
bob books
3-day potty training
(I know it isn't glamorous, it was my first. But it is a snippet of my life: beans for a mexican dinner I took to a friend, martha because I wanted a killer dessert, Here be dragons is my next book for book club, bob books are great for teaching kids to read which Bryn is starting, and 3-day potty training because I'm biting the bullet on Thursday and trying to train Morgan.)
No comments:
Post a Comment