Wednesday, April 9, 2008

snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

I have two reoccurring dreams: tsunamis and dinosaurs. The tsunamis started about a month before I got married, so who knows what that psycho-babble is about, and at first it usually consisted of me being wiped out and not being able to get to anyone. Every time I have the dream it is a new wave and a new location. Although after almost eleven years, and of course being obsessed with learning about tsunamis, I can generally get away in time and now I can save my family. So now my tsunami dreams consist of me trying to save everyone on the beach before it is too late. It is always interesting to me that some people will believe me and run and others will not; I suppose that is how it would be in real life, but because this is a dream what does that say about me, that I can't even dream everyone to believe me? You would think after that big tsunami wiped out all those people in 2006 that I would have had more dreams, but I didn't.

Anyway, the dinosaur dreams are relatively newer, I've probably been having them for the past seven years. There isn't much to them except running for my life. I usually get caught by a wily t-rex. Damn t-rexs are more agile than one might think.

Last night it was t-rexs. They were ravaging a neighborhood and somehow I got the smell of their babies on me. So they were hunting me down. I gave them the slip in the wreckage of a home and I made a break for a pavilion across the street where a bunch of people had been massacred by the dinos. I could hear a baby crying in the mass of bodies, and so I ran to it. It was a baby boy about morgan's age, with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. The baby was naked except for a diaper and he had a puncture wound in his stomach that was gushing blood. I laid down next to the baby, hoping I would be able to hide among the dead bodies, and held the little baby's hand. I started stroking the baby's head and trying to comfort him. He stopped crying and looked at me. I knew he would die soon and so I decided to stay with him until he did. I could hear the t-rexs coming, and I knew I only had a few more seconds before I was toast. I didn't look back, I just looked at the baby. He looked back at me, and I could see that he was grateful not to be alone. I could hear the footsteps of the dinos, it wouldn't be much longer now. And then I woke up.

3 comments:

toni said...

I have been having the tsunami nightmare since college I think. I am usually scaling a mountain to escape it. Just thought you would like to know, you are not alone; something is chasing me too.

christy said...

Sorry but can't say I have those kind of dino dreams and the latest t-rex one is pretty disturbing. Yikes!

Erin said...

I used to have Dino dreams all the time too. Not so much lately, but I know what you mean about trying to save everyone. I also used to have tornado dreams everynight. These started when we moved to Arkansas (any guesses why...). No one ever died in them, but still scary all the same.