Wednesday, June 4, 2008

it's so much easier when seafoam green is in fashion

I gave a copy of my book to Porter today. I hope he likes it. He and Addy are my target audience, so here's hoping when they read it.

I have a copy for Aaron to critique too. He cracks me up. He knows a bunch of the story because I'm constantly trying different parts of the plot on the girls. The book is pure fiction; but when I was reading a piece of it to the girls, he stopped me and told me I needed to rework a section because it wasn't believable. It's child adventure fantasy! It is suppose to be unbelievable. He felt I made one of my characters too fickle and needed a better explanation for why. He cracks me up because he loves imaginative stuff but it has to meet certain standards of plausibility. Mr. Semantics at his best. Although it is great for me, because he makes me rethink and create a more believable imaginary world.

So while my critics have it, I'm writing my query letter and shipping it to agents. Here's hoping. I'm going to contact my old professor Linda Adams, to see if she knows anyone. Because the book business is more connection than talent.

I fly out to meet Aaron in Denver tomorrow. I'm more excited for a quiet weekend alone than house shopping. We'll see if we find anything.

2 comments:

toni said...

Do I have any kids that meet hit your target audience? I am dying to read it!

bfav said...

If your kids are 7-10 and like adventure novels. email me your address, and I'll send a copy. All kid feedback is uber desirable.