Thursday, August 21, 2008

you can read minds?

In college, I had four bulimic and/or anorexic roommates at various times (two at one time though--that was brutal). This lifestyle was never a temptation to me, especially when I had to clean the bathrooms after one of their purge/laxative episodes. Because of my experience with these girls, I have a pretty good understanding of eating disorders and the brutal effects it has on everyone. I always thought bulimia was the easy one--the nastier of the two--but you could eat all you want. Although, watching them binge was almost as gross as hearing them throw up.

Anyway, I know that the disorders are about control, and now that I lack a bit of control of my own life, I see now how anorexia is actually easier. It is easy to not eat. And you are quickly rewarded as the weight drips off. (To anyone reading this: do not worry, I am not even considering having an eating disorder...I'm smarter than that. I was stressing about something, so I just didn't eat for two days, but now I'm fine.) Anyway, it was a surprising realization and something I have been thinking about...it makes me concerned about others that I see slipping toward this.

Another interesting insight into this disorder: Everyone I know that has had or currently has an eating disorder: they all have boob jobs. Every single one. And the longer they have had their new boobs, the less happy they are with them or with their bodies.

Despite how frumpy I might be or feel, I am glad that the way I look doesn't completely affect who I am...that I find worth in other attributes of my personality and life. So much so, that I was actually delighting in the motherly sag of my ladies--it was empowering in a weird sorta way.

1 comment:

Carrie Ann said...

Bless your baby heart. I went to China on a business trip with a girl with severe anorexia... it ruined the whole trip. (I am a friends-with-eating-disorders-magnate, too).