I am now 2 for 3. Lauren lost her third tooth last wednesday at school. She was so excited and all the kids in her class loved looking at her tooth. When she got home, she taped her tooth to a personalized note (because of the experience with her first tooth that the tooth fairy couldn't find, ie forgot), taped her own nickel to the note as a thank you (you know, because we're trying to teach our children to give back), and then tucked it obviously under her pillow.
Well that night, Aaron's parents flew in. We talked till way late and then we went to bed--completely forgetting Lore's tooth.
She came in at about 6.30a to let us know that the tooth fairy didn't take her tooth. Aaron and I both sunk three feet into our mattress. We were the dirtbag parents again. Devastated, Lore went in to see her Grannie and Pa. I felt sick...then it got worse.
I got up and went to tell Lore to get ready for school. Only she pulled me away from everyone and asked, "Mom, can I please stay home from school? All the kids are going to ask me what the tooth fairy brought. I don't want to tell them that she didn't come."
Uuuuugggggh. The jerk store called, and they were all out of me. I agreed that she could stay home, plus then she would get more time with her grandparents. But we both know I did it to save her from humiliation. I told Aaron and he agreed. sucks.
All day long, Aaron, Grannie, and I tried to come up with various reasons why the fairy didn't show. Lore was still broken.
That night, the fairy left three quarters--these are small treasures to Lauren and it washed away the mistake of the previous morning. When I dropped Lore off to school, she had her quarters in hand, and several girls from her class rushed her when she got to the playground.
I hope I'm not scaring this child. Once is understandable, twice is just mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment