Monday, November 3, 2008

Go that way really fast; if something gets in your way: turn

Some things in life feel like the K12. Right now, I'm reading How to Win Friends and Influence People for our book group. I would have never read it on my own (I'm not much for self help) but I'm glad I am. Most of the principles are basic "be nice" principles but there are a few that I truly suck at, and I want to be better. Principles (that I've read so far) that I'm struggling to apply are:

  1. Don't criticise, complain, or condemn.
  2. Be a good listener.
  3. Remember people's names.
  4. Don't get into arguments (even if you are right).

It makes sense, when I read it, but making myself actually do it is harder to remember. Because instinctively, my mouth opens and verbal diarrhea spews forth. I'm crazy opinionated and loud, and I need to taper these two traits. When I catch myself and actually apply what I've learned: the kids are happier and more confident.

Another thing I've realized from the book: Abe Lincoln and Ben Franklin are amazing men (not that I didn't already know this, but I appreicate more who they were) and I want to read their biographies (particularly, Ben's auto). So I better go so I can update goodreads. cheers.

3 comments:

Cami said...

Those are good points to keep in mind - a good reminder. I hope your voice is back.

Adam said...

Isn't being crazy, opionated, and loud actually three traits?

Natalie said...

I like it...but I like that you are opinionated, so don't change that one too much. Been debating with Robyn a bit on Facebook. You should join in.