Tuesday, July 22, 2008

jazz hands

Amber and I were discussing ward cliques today. She has some crazy retard girls in her ward...but I'm sure we all do. Man 2 had all the bitter betties that didn't get invited on the cruise that about 20 couples from our ward went on last feb.

And it is a fine line. Naturally, we get along with certain people better than others. And we shouldn't have to feel responsible for including the entire ward when you decide to get together with friends...I think it is ridiculous to expect everyone to be your friend and include you in all their frivolities.

But there is a difference between being friends and being friendly. I think there is no excuse for not being friendly, especially when it is at a ward gathering...I'm not saying don't sit by your friends or hang out with your friends at the functions...just don't be rude to others that might want to chat at the event. Is that really so difficult? We lived across the street from coo-coo-choo-choo, but did I talk to her every week at church? Yes. It is just being kind. Am I perfect, no. I hope I'm not being hypocritical by writing this...I really do try to be kind and friendly to everyone.

Do I like everyone? No. Am I friends with everyone? no. Do I try to mix it up in RS/ward parties/groups, so that I talk to others that I don't know very well? Yes. I'm not saying everyone should do this...it works for me. I like to get to know everyone. But I don't expect them to all be my friends...just friendly back. And I am crazy, so I understand and don't take offense if others don't want to be my friend. No tears are shed. I don't know, ward cliques just make me nuts when they choose to be rude to others at ward gatherings. When I hear about things people say and do to others that is just rude, it makes my heart hurt and then I become fierce. I lock & load my claws and I'm ready for a nasty cat fight...no, I'm all talk. But I feel the fierceness build in me and I want to say something...

Aaron and I try to be Switzerland in the ward. Neutral...not cliquish, not discriminating about who we are friendly to. It works for us. We don't get caught up in the crap and we don't get offended by crappers. Christy, my new neighbor, was telling me the ward and our neighborhood is bit cliquish...I believe it is everywhere though. I just feel bad that Christy feels excluded. Maybe I can make my Switzerland a safe haven for everyone. We'll see.

No comments: