Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cómo estás? beeeches

So after our Evergreen experience last week, we had no idea what to expect in our soon-to-be ward today. We got there during the hymn before the opening prayer, and we had to sit on the third row from the very back of the cultural hall. We bumped the ward's primary kid count over 200 today. Lauren, Bryn and Ava each had 16+ kids in their classes. We thought we had a big ward in American Fork with 180 kids. The YM/YW is also crazy big. The bishopric told us they have about 3 new families each week. This is understandable since the PAC is building loads of homes. There was a bunch of speculation among the members that a split would happen soon. Aaron and I were shocked but grateful to have a similar ward experience from what we just left in Utah. The majority of parents look like they are in their 30's and 40's. And I met the family that lives two houses down from us during RS. She seems really nice. They have a book club and a play group which we will join but not until September...the book club is reading Stephanie Meyer (and while I did read twilight in 1 day and was entertained--but not compelled to read the others--I don't think I could stomach another) right now and I have a feeling I will grossly disagree with their opinions of the book. Hell I haven't even read it and I can deconstruct her characters and writing style to make them into what they are: cheap, easy mormon porn commercial entertainment...that might be a bit harsh, and hypocritical...I just wrote my first story and it probably isn't as well written. So while I may seem a bit biting, I do give her huge credit for creating a series that transcends its target audience and appeal. It's just not my bag, baby. I'm excited to be a part of this ward. I think it will help with our transition.

No comments: