Wednesday, December 22, 2010

You want to eat food. You know, the code.

While in Tx and waiting for Aaron to get out of meetings, I had to eat lunch. So I debated my options: table for 1 or food court at some mall.

When waitressing in Texas many many years ago, lots of people came in for lunch by themselves. They would talk on their phone (if they had one) or read a book. I thought this was odd at the time. Reading and eating at a restaurant. Restaurants are for social eating. Of course I understood why they would be by themselves. I just couldn't comprehend doing it. I saw it as a complete expression of self confidence.

So I decided to do it. I had a sit down lunch at a Thai restaurant in downtown Dallas. I fought the urge to pull out my phone or grab my book from my purse. I kept telling myself: I'm secure enough with myself and my own thoughts. I can enjoy a lunch by myself...even with a couple on a date next to me. Their lunch was more awkward than mine. I felt bad for the girl.

So I did it. What did I discover:
  • Lunch by yourself is weird.
  • I had enough self confidence to do it.
  • I don't plan on doing again...at least if I don't have to.
  • Restaurants are a social place.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I would have pulled out the book...there's no shame in reading and eating.