Sunday, October 31, 2010

Get candy!

So last night, we did the trick-or-treat treasure hunt. We had an hour & a half to hit three neighborhoods. We were driving from house to house following clues (or a map of what house was closest). Morgan, determined to be a big kid, hauled herself in and out of the car. She's not built for speed or agility and didn't have the more-candy-fire under her butt like Lore and Bryn. This drove the older girls crazy. After about 45 minutes of hauling their heavy pails in and out of the car, I convinced them to leave the pails and just run and get the candy. This helped with Morgan's speed (but not by much). Still, it was a good time.

Of course, a husband who will not be named gave Morgan a Halloween stamp. I confiscated it at the next house when we discovered Morgan had stamped her face and arms (then smeared the ink) till she looked like a filthy black coal mining Snow White. Genius.

But by far the funniest moment of the night. It was our last house (I had never been to their house before), it was dark, and we were searching for the pumpkin sign outside the door. The girls spot a bunch of kids in costume running up to a house. So I assumed it was the house and dropped the kids off. They're gone for awhile. When they come back, Lore says, "Mom. That wasn't the house. Those people were just having a Halloween Party. They said we were trick-or-treating early."

"Did they give you candy?"

"Yes, but they had to go get it."

I love that they waited for the candy. A 13 yr old would have run to the car with embarrassment.

1 comment:

Alys said...

That's so funny. Those were nice people to give them candy anyways.