Monday, May 10, 2010

no, lemon, my present is that ensemble you're wearing

I let Lauren dress herself for school, so she picks out her own outfits. Last week, she came into my bedroom wearing a striped polo (thick stripes of pink and navy) with bright thinly fruit striped leggings. She was a sight to behold. At first glance, Aaron said, "No Lore. Those don't go. Pick out a different shirt." Not trusting her dad, she asked me and I told her the two pieces didn't work. She wanted to wear the fruit stripe pants. So I told her to pick out a solid color shirt. The leggings are rainbow red, orange, blue, green, black, maybe yellow. She returned wearing a lilac dress over the leggings. With her red hair, she looked like pippy long stocking. Aaron and I exchanged looks again, but decided to let this ensemble pass.

It wasn't until I took Bryn to school later that day when I realized: it's class picture day. And of course Lauren will be on the front row. So I did what any mom would do. I ran money down to the school to make sure Lauren's project runway would be preserved in pictures.

Then I went home and called my mom. When I was in the 5th grade, I had demanded to wear a plaid shirt with a mismatching argyle sweater for class picture day. It's was hideous, but I was smiling with pride on the front row.

3 comments:

Megan Favero said...

i want, no have to see that picture.

Sunny said...

Brooke thats awesome! Thanks for not running other clothes down.

Cami said...

I had to laugh out loud at that - too classic.