Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's a twister

Today, I took Ava and Morgan to the park. It was a beautiful day (compared to the rainy blustery days we've had this week). After an hour, I took the kids home and we settled into a snack...and then it came. A big black cloud. I thought it was just a rainstorm until I heard the sirens. I didn't mistake them for a car alarm this time. So before scrambling down to the basement, I decided to investigate what had the fireman's panties in a bunch. Then the hail started. There was hail last year when the tornado touched down. I was a bit more concerned. I opened the garage door and took a peek. I never really understood "green" clouds until today. The low black storm clouds had huge patches of slime green daring to start something. Then the hail came down hard and fast. And then sideways from the wind. That's when I closed the garage door and bunkered down in the basement with the girls. Nothing touched down, but it was freaky. More freaky than the actual tornado from last year. This thing just looked bigger and nastier. Who knew Colorado was so prone to tornadoes? I guess knowing is half the battle.

5 comments:

christy said...

SCARY!!!! We're in Kansas and I think you guys have had more scary tornado stuff. Yikes!!

Erin said...

Yikes! I have yet to see the green clouds before a tornado. My nightmares will start tonight in honor of you.

Alys said...

I can't believe you went to investigate. I can't decide if I would have too, or been too scared and headed straight to the basement.
And, I had no idea about the green clouds.

Sunny said...

Brooke what made you open the garage! That's crazy...if you hear sirens then there is a reason. You've got guts!

Amber King said...

I'm frightened for you.