Tuesday, December 8, 2009

two men enter, one man leaves

Aaron and I have struggled with the Christmas tree for years now. We both grew up with real Christmas trees and we've had one every year we've been married...including this year. But the past few years, we struggle with the sensible argument to suck it up and buy a fake tree and a pine-scented candle. Both Faveros and Wilsons have made the switch. And the fake tree makes lots of sense, but it just isn't Christmas. We found a fake tree this year, and luckily they had a box problem, so we didn't buy it. But we're planning on it and I'm sure it will be a big fun tree.

To let the kids put their ornaments up, Aaron bought a small Charlie Brown live tree and we put it in the book room. We let the kids decorate it however they liked with colored lights and all. Martha Stewart would not approve. It's perfect. And Lauren read under the light of the small tree tonight. There's magic even in the small trees. The book room smells like heaven: pine and books.

Do I really need a big fun fancy "Mom's" tree? I'm content to settle under the Charlie Brown with the girls and poke fingers at the colored lights.

3 comments:

Alys said...

I'm planning on the after Christmas clearance to get a tree for next year. The fake ones are just too easy.

Sunny said...

I want a fake one...Jonathan's not on board yet.

Cami said...

I might like the kids' tree better than the adult one this year. Just maybe.